privacy and data security
what we do with the stuff we know
notonthehighstreet's privacy commitment
The notonthehighstreet.com website (the "Site") and the notonthehighstreet.com Thoughtful Gift Finder app (the "App") are owned and operated by NOTHS. We are committed to safeguarding your privacy online. We will only collect, store and use your personal information for specific purposes. We use your personal information to support and enhance our relationship with you. We only share your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and other applicable laws. You may contact NOTHS at any time with any privacy questions or concerns and to see the personal information you have given us and request correction.
information about you
When you (a customer and/or partner (this is what we call our sellers)) register to purchase products through notonthehighstreet.com we ask for information such as your name, e-mail address, postal address, and contact details. Notonthehighstreet.com then keeps a record of this information.
If you (a customer and/or partner) place an order with us and elect for us to store your credit or debit card details, notonthehighstreet.com will keep a record of those details. For more information about how credit and debit card details are stored and used by notonthehighstreet.com, please see 'how we protect information' below.
We keep a record of any purchase/s you make from any of the partners' stores at notonthehighstreet.com. This means both the partners and (in some instances) we can help to deal with any queries or problems you may have, and also so we can ensure that any information that we send to you is relevant.
We keep a record of any e-mail correspondence you send us, so we can track any problems or concerns you've had with any of the partners' stores on our website.
If you contact notonthehighstreet.com by telephone (via our customer service centre or otherwise) we may record, store and use that call for future training or business purposes. This includes, without limitation, use for the purpose of dispute resolution and/or complaints management.
We'll also ask you questions at registration, and from time to time by email, that will give us information that will be used to improve your experience of shopping at notonthehighstreet.com. You do not have to answer these questions, but if you do we can communicate with you in a more relevant way.
If you would like to revise the information you have provided to us because you feel that what we currently have on record is incorrect, and/or you would like your information erased from our records, you can so do by contacting us in accordance with the information provided at 'further information' below.
how we use your personal data
All the information we collect via the Site, the App or through correspondence (including telephone calls) with you is used to operate and improve the service we offer you and to personalise our service. We are committed to using your personal information only for:
- Passing on your orders to your chosen notonthehighstreet.com partner(s) so they can supply goods and services to you and for customer administration. Our partners may use subcontractors (including to assist with delivery and fulfilment) to process and provide your orders to you.
- Planning and managing notonthehighstreet.com's business activities, including analysis of customers' shopping habits, success of advertisements and push notifications and product and style preferences of our customers.
- Technical administration of our website.
- Providing you with information about the services we offer.
- Letting you know about offers and news from notonthehighstreet.com.
- Letting you know about offers, news and products from partner stores on our site.
- We may make your name and email address available to companies in order to advertise and market our services to you through other platforms on the internet (e.g. Facebook).
- To verify details of your payment method or credit card account.
- Passing on details of your order (but not payment details) and personal information where you have purchased a gift from a wedding list on notonthehighstreet.com to the users who created such wedding list.
During your registration process you are given the opportunity to select some of the ways in which we may use your details.
These are the circumstances in which we may share some of your data with others:
- When we instruct agents, contractors or third party service providers to provide business operations support (including advertising and marketing advice and support), financial services and technology services. Please note that these third parties are under contract, and our service agreements dictate that they only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- To outside research companies whom we may ask to contact you directly for your opinions on our service, and our partners' products and services (in which case we provide them with only the information they need to perform their function).
- If we are requested by the police or a regulatory or government authority investigating illegal activities to provide information concerning your activities whilst using the network we shall do so.
- To the users who created a wedding list on notonthehighstreet.com if you have purchased a gift from such wedding list.
- To the App provider to the extent required in order to supply the App service to you.
- If a customer recommends you as part of our 'refer-a-friend' scheme, we shall notify them that you are already a shopper with NOTHS. We will not share any of your purchase or other details with that customer.
managing your orders
We may monitor and review communications between you and our partners on our Content Management System (CMS), solely for the purposes of ensuring that your orders are managed appropriately by our partners and our customer service team, and in accordance with the terms and conditions that we have in place with our partners.
data over the internet
The internet is a global network, so it is possible for your data to travel internationally, which may include places outside the European Union. If you visit or shop at notonthehighstreet.com, you're agreeing and authorising us to process data in this way.
how we protect information
You acknowledge that the Internet is not a 100% secure medium for communication and, accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you send to us (or we send to you) via the Internet. We are not responsible for any damages which you, or others, may suffer as a result of the loss of confidentiality of such information.
We take every precaution to protect your information. To this end all personal information stored by us is kept on a server in a secure environment.
Secure Socket Layer ("SSL") encryption technology is used for protection of information in transit for any sensitive transations such as payments.
We do not store or process your card details ourselves, they are processed and stored via one of our contracted third party service providers.
Only employees, our partners and any third party service providers (such as Realex) who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information.
storing your credit and debit card details
If you have elected to store your credit or debit card details with notonthehighstreet.com those details will appear automatically on the Payments page when you login and proceed to purchase a product with us. To ensure the security of your credit and debit card details we:
- mask your credit or debit card number on the Payments page: only the last four digits of your credit or debit card number, the expiry date of that credit or debit card, the name (as it appears on the credit or debit card) and card type will be visible to you on the Payments page. Of course, we use all of your credit or debit card information to process your order but we do not display this information on the Payments page in order to ensure that no-one can accidentally see it.
- require a CV2 (card security) number: we will ask you to enter your CV2 number even when using the stored card function.
If you would like to revise the credit and debit card details you have provided to us because you feel that what we currently have on record is incorrect, and/or you would like those details erased from our records, you can do so by contacting us in accordance with the information provided at 'further information' below.
how you can help us protect your information
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online in non-protected environments - for example on message boards, through email, or in chat areas - that information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. Also remember to close your browser window when you have finished your work. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet café. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems.
To see all the information we have about you, and to correct any inaccuracies, please write to us at: notonthehighstreet.com, NOTHS House, 63 Kew Road , Richmond, Surrey, TW9 2NQ.
how to unsubscribe
If you no longer wish to receive any further email messages, post or other communications from us or you no longer wish to be contacted by other companies who you permitted us to provide your details to then please change your communication preferences accordingly here.
our sellers' privacy policies
Our partners are bound by the same legislation as us, and if they gather or keep your information, they must give you all relevant information about their policy, as well as giving you the opportunity to opt in or out of certain ways in which they might use that information.
By visiting this website with your browser settings adjusted to allow cookies, you are consenting to notonthehighstreet.com using cookies for the purposes outlined below in order to provide you with a fully functional shopping experience.
Please note: to make full use of notonthehighstreet.com and to benefit from certain personalised features, your computer, tablet or mobile phone will need to be set up to accept cookies. The notonthehighstreet.com website (like many other shopping websites) will not work when cookies are blocked.
- The data we collect through these cookies is solely for the purpose of enhancing our website and your browsing experience – it is never used to identify you and we would never share or sell on this data.
The list below details the cookies used on notonthehighstreet.com. We have outlined who sets these cookies and their purpose. If the party reads something other than 'notonthehighstreet.com', these are our third party business partners who help us to enhance your browsing experience.
|Criteo; Struq||notonthehighstreet.com work with 3rd party agencies Criteo and Struq to display our banner advertising on other selected websites based on pages already viewed on notonthehighstreet.com. The cookies used by Criteo and Struq help us to monitor and improve the effectiveness of our banner advertising and to refine the targeting of these campaigns so that we are displaying the most relevant content for each individual. The date collected through these cookies is anonymous, does not collect specific customer data and is never shared with other third parties|
|Maxymiser||notonthehighstreet.com work with 3rd party Maxymiser to test and find the optimal content and experience for our users. The cookies used by Maxymiser enable us to identify which experiences visitors to our site have seen so that we can ensure we serve them with the same experience again should they return to our site. The data collected through these cookies is anonymous, does not collect specific customer data and is never shared with other third parties.|
|Share This||Share This allows customers to share content, products and web pages from our website with other websites and social networking sites. The cookies used by Share This allow us to track the type of content, products and pages that our users are sharing to help us better understand which content is most engaging for our customers so that we can improve the content and customer experience in other areas of the website.|
|Social Media plugins||Sites such as Facebook and Pinterest, serve cookies in order to be able to share and discuss notonthehighstreet.com’s products on social networks.|
what is a cookie?
A cookie is a small text file which is downloaded and stored on your computer or mobile device by websites that you visit. Where cookie technology is not available, an anonymous identifier may be used. An anonymous identifier is a random string of characters used for the same purposes as a cookie.
Your browser accesses the cookie file only when you visit the website that generated it. This helps to ease your navigation by automatically logging you in and remembering things like your preferences and what’s in your shopping basket. Cookies allow sites like notonthehighstreet.com to deliver you a personalised shopping experience.
The information stored within any given cookie can only be accessed by the website that created it and cookies are limited to communicating only the information that you have disclosed to the site.
types of cookie:
Session (or Transient) Cookies
Session cookies are stored in your computer's memory for the length of your browsing session. They become inaccessible after the session has been inactive for a time and are automatically deleted from your computer when the browser is closed. They allow you to move from page to page without having to log-in repeatedly. Persistent (or Permanent) Cookies
Persistent cookies are stored in your computer memory and are not deleted when the browser is closed. They are used to keep your preferences for the website, so they will be remembered for next time you visit the website. They are also used to collect information about the numbers of visitors, the average time spent on a particular page and analyse shopping behaviour on the website. This information is used to find out how well the website works and where it can be improved.
Flash Cookies (or Locally Shared Objects)
You probably have Adobe Flash installed on your computer. Websites that contain Flash can also store small files on your computer that are used in the same way as cookies.
Flash cookies can also back up the data that is stored in other cookies. When you delete cookies, your Flash cookies are not affected. So a website may still recognise you if it backed up the deleted cookie information on a Flash cookie.
sharing with social networks
If you use the buttons that allow you to share products and content with your friends via social networks like Twitter and Facebook, these companies may set a cookie on your computer memory. Find out more about these here:
If cookies aren't enabled on your computer, it will mean that your shopping experience on our website will be limited to browsing and researching; you won't be able to add products to your basket or buy them. To enable and manage cookies, you can use your browser to do this. Each browser is different, so check the 'Help' menu of your particular browser (or your mobile phone's handset manual) to learn how to change your cookie preferences.